Sunday, May 11, 2008

Rieska

rieska
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 15-20 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Whole Grain Baking

Rieska? I had no idea what this was, but decided to try it because I had some rye flour to use up. This is a great recipe. Super easy, like all quick breads, but different. It is a cross between a biscuit and a quick-bread really. It doesn't use a ton of butter, but enough to give it that biscuit-y taste. And it is all whole grains, so a nice way to get them in when you want something more biscuit like. (I tried making whole wheat biscuits before, and was not that impressed.)

I calculated that my 3x2.5 inch squares (15 from a 9 x 13 pan) had only about 100 calories, which is not bad! I think these would be excellent for serving with soup. I also think it might be great for making little breakfast sandwiches, since the bread is kind of flat.

The recipe in the book, made a huge amount to be baked in a 13x18 jelly roll pan. I made a half recipe, which I will probably stick to. However, if serving a crowd, it might be a good recipe to use if you want to make something to serve with soup or chili.

Actually, looking at the recipe now, I realize that I left out the regular all-purpose flour (it called for 1/2 c. per half recipe) in addition to the rye flour, whole wheat flour and oatmeal. I didn't miss it at all, and might just skip it next time.

No comments: