Thursday, May 29, 2008

Chilaquiles (Skillet Tortilla Casserole)

Total Time: 30 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: The Best Chicken Recipe

I really liked this one. It was a nice skillet meal for two that I cut in half for a single serving and it worked out really well. My final product doesn't look that pretty, but it was very tasty.

I actually changed the recipe somewhat drastically, because it called for what I thought was too much chips and cheese. My final product was still very rich and flavorul but something that wouldn't leave me full for hours and hours. I didn't have the cilantro and it would have benefited from it. I didn't have a plum tomato so used some Chipotle salsa instead of the minced chipotle and the tomato. That worked well, but made the dish look a little less appetizing than it would have with the tomato added later. And I used minced onion instead of a shallot, and used less oil. Even with all my changes, I think I can safely say the original recipe would be excellent, and my version is also very good.

SKILLET TORTILLA CASSEROLE (for one)

1 boneless chicken breast (5-6 oz)
salt and pepper
1/2 T vegetable oil
1/2 small onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 ounce tortilla chips broken into smaller pieces
1 medium ripe tomato, cored, seeded and chopped
1 ounce cheddar cheese, grated
1 T cilantro, minced


1. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. If tortilla chips are very salty, be cautious with the salt.

2. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in ovensafe 10" skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and brown on each side for 5 minutes.

3. Move chicken to the side, add 1/2 teaspoon oil and onion and saute a minute. Add garlic and chipotle and pinch of salt if needed. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

4. Add broth and stir up an browned bits. Stir in half of tortilla chips. Cover, and cook until chicken reaches 160-165. Preheat broiler while chicken is cooking.

5. Remove chicken and cut or shred. Return to skillet with half of cheese (2 T), half of cilantro, and remaining tortilla chips. Stir to moisten.

6. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and put in broiler until cheese starts to brown. Top with cilantro. Let cool a bit before serving.

No comments: