Friday, May 23, 2008

Honey Oatmeal Sandwich Bread

honey oat bread
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Rise Time: 2.5 hours (total)
Cook Time: 45-60 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Whole Grain Baking

I really wasn't very careful with this recipe and it showed as I ended up with a very squat loaf. However, it is very delicious bread. Part of the prep time is waiting for the oatmeal mixed with boiling water to cool.

I didn't have enough honey and tried to sub in some other sugars (a little molasses and a little brown sugar) to fix it. I also didn't let it really double for the first rise, because I was being impatient and my kitchen was quite cool. Also, then I didn't grease the pan and the bread totally stuck to pan. I also overcooked it a bit, because it was taking forever to get past 185 degrees, so I let it go awhile, then suddenly it was at 195 degrees instead of the 190.

Anyway, the bread is still very tasty and I will make this again. It is a easier than the CI whole grain bread so a nice alternative. It is a sweeter bread, but not too sweet and nice for sandwiches (especially if I had a better rise!)

One small complaint about the cookbook is that they don't always give the best instructions. There wasn't much guidance on how long to knead the bread or what the dough should feel like. I've done enough bread to make an educated guess, but I do prefer CI's more detailed instructions.

No comments: