Thursday, December 27, 2007

No Knead Bread 2.0

nkb
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Rise Time: 8-18 hours
Form Time: 5 minutes
2nd Rise: 2 hours
Bake Time: 45-50minutes

Grade: A+

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (January 2008)
Recipe:  Almost No-Knead Bread (Season 9)

This is an amazing recipe. It is some of the most delicious bread I have ever had, and I made it myself, with less than 10 minutes of effort! I will definitely be making this frequently in the future. It reminds me of my favorite Ciabatta bread from Trader Joe's, with a delicious crust, airy interior and a flavorful taste (but not sour, like sourdough, which is not my favorite.)

I never tried the original from the New York Times, and now I probably won't since I love this one so much. I didn't weigh my dough, and it was too sticky, but it didn't matter, because the dough filled the Dutch oven and didn't spread out too much.

nkb 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure this is the CI recipe? The cavities in the bread and the crumb looks completely different from my own attempt at the recipe.

Lisa said...

Yes, this was the CI recipe. What does your dough look like?

The first time I made it, (this picture) my dough was very wet, and I could not knead it at all - it kind of fell into the pan. The 2nd time my dough was not as wet, and I did not get quite as large holes.

I prefer the holes for this type of bread, so I might even try to have the wetter dough next time.