Sunday, November 04, 2007

Skillet Strata with Cheddar and Broccoli

Total Time: 35-40minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Best 30-Minute Recipes

This recipe works great with any bits of veggies and cheese that you have. I use it all the time to use up leftovers. Sausage and ham work well in here too.

I adjusted the main 30-Minute Skillet Strata recipe to use broccoli. I want to have a vegetable serving in it when I make this, which I think will be frequently, because it is delicious and fairly easy. So, it took me a little longer than 30 minutes, because of prepping and blanching the broccoli. I think it is important to dry the broccoli after blanching because there was a little extra liquid.

Also, I need to get my oven preheated before I even start, because it takes so long to preheat. I never got it up to 425, and it took much longer to cook. I used less butter in my version and I don't think it suffers from it.

I used 3 slices of wide pan bread, which worked better than the 5 called for. I had trouble last time fitting it all in.

So here is my version:

Skillet Strata with Cheddar and Broccoli
Serves 4

1 large bunch of broccoli, cut florets off into small pieces
2 T. unsalted butter.
1 small onion minced
salt
ground pepper
6 large eggs
1 1/2 c. milk (whole is best tasting, but skim works too)
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 slices high-quality sandwich bread, cut into 1-inch squares (or 4-5 slices, if using smaller bread)

Prep ingredients first, because you will be doing several things at once.

1. Preheat oven to 425, and adjust rack to middle position.

2. Melt butter in 10" ovensafe nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to coat. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. If using dried thyme add now. Cook until onion softened about 6 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, bring an inch of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add broccoli, and cook for 1 minute until bright green (but not completely tender). Drain and lay on some paper towels to absorb extra water. Pat tops dry.

4. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, milk, fresh thyme and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in large bowl. Stir in cheese.

5. Toast bread by carefully folding into skillet with onions until evenly coated. Cook until lightly toasted, 3-4 minutes.

6. Add eggs to skillet, and fold together until slightly thickened and bread is soaking up eggs.

7. Finish in oven until puffed and edges pull away from sides, about 12 minutes.

Serve right away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.