Friday, July 28, 2006

Fruit Tart with Pastry Cream

fresh tartPastry Cream: 17 minutes
Cool Time: 3 hours
Tart Time: 40 minutes
Assemble Time: 5 minutes (but I didn't glaze)

Grade: A-

Make Again: Yes, as long as I can master the tart dough.

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (July 2001)
America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
Baking Illustrated

This is my second attempt at making a tart. I used the 2nd half of the pastry dough from my Lemon Tart, when I tried making mini tarts. I had trouble with the tart dough again. Last time I thought my oven was too hot, and I made sure that wasn't the issue. So, I am left to believe I didn't prepare the dough correctly. My best guess is that I didn't get the butter pieces small enough in the food processor.

tart-crust

The dough was filled with holes and greasy. It cooked unevenly also. As before, it tasted good, but I need to figure out how to make this dough properly.

I didn't bother making a full beautiful fruit tart, because I was just experimenting, and it wasn't to serve, and I even threw away half of this, because I assumed it wouldn't keep well past 1 day. I will try again, because I think the pastry cream is also very good, and I would love to master this recipe.

No comments: