Sunday, July 16, 2006

Blackberry Cornmeal Cake

Prep Time: 17 minutes
Bake Time: 45 - 50 minutes
Cool Time: 30 minutes

Grade: A
Make Again: Yes
Recipe Source: Everyday Food (July 2005)

This is a great recipe. It is a nice rustic cake that is easy to make. The most time consuming part for me is the washing and checking of the fruit (since I am kind of obsessive about that.) You can make this with any favorite summer fruit. This time I made it with black raspberries, because they were cheaper at the Farmer's market this weekend than the blackberries.

I usually use a Turbinado sugar on the top, which gives a nicer crunch than regular granulated sugar.

When making this cake I always think that the fruit is too much, because you put a layer on the top, and it completely covers the top of the cake. But once the cake cooks, the fruit sinks some into the batter and it doesn't remain a solid layer on the top.

No comments: