Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Lemon Tart

I tried making a lemon tart. I think it was my biggest baking failure ever. But it was quite delicious.

The recipe is found in America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook and Baking Illustrated. I think I have a made a tart before once or twice, but I don't really remember. (The reason, I am using this blog is to keep better track.)

I made the full tart dough recipe one night, then tried to make mini tarts the second night. I have 6 mini tart pans, and I was able to get 4 tarts out of half of the dough.

I had a lot of trouble with the tart crust. I believe I did the tart recipe correctly, however, my oven was running hot and I didn't have the time to let it cool down enough, so I think that caused the problem. The dough got dark brown very quickly, and was very greasy. When I tried to pull the foil off, it was still soft, even though it looked like it was done, because of the color.

It looked and tasted a like one of those cookies (whose name I cannot remember) that is basically a very buttery and thin cookie that you can mold and shape into bowls or other things before it cools off.

I worked on making 1/3 of the lemon filling recipe after pulling these out of the oven, and I did OK with that, but I didn't keep stirring like I was supposed to and it started to boil a bit, and got thick quicker than it was supposed. I poured it into all 4 pans, even though there was really only enough filling for 2 or 3.

Everything is then baked a little longer. The tart filling looked a little hole-y, but otherwise was OK.

These were not pans with removable bottoms, so I had to work to get the tarts out. Some of them broke because the crust was too moist (greasy, really.)



I think the main problem was the oven temperature. I have the other half of the tart dough in the freezer to try again sometime in the (hopefully) near future. Regardless of the looks, these tarts were really very delicious.

No comments: