Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Lemon Loaf Cake


.


Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
Cool Time: 10 minutes + more to room temp.

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Baking with Julia (contributing baker Norman Love)

I used to make this cake on occasion, but then I tried the Cook's Illustrated version and started to use that one when I wanted an easy lemon cake recipe. I finally tried this one again, because I had some lemons and heavy cream that I really needed to use up.

In fact, one lemon was so far beyond its prime that it had a tiny bit of mold. I decided to wash and cut away the mold and get the zest. The lemon was so soft, the moldy part of the peel just brushed off when I was washing it. Did that deter me from using the zest. No! It still seemed to have good lemon flavor, so I went ahead.

This recipe is similar to the CI recipe, but it is a little lighter, using 1/2 c. cream and 1/3 c. butter instead of a full cup of butter. It really is like a lemon pound cake, and is pretty easy to make.

The recipe says you can make it in 5 minutes. I admit to not being the fastest in the kitchen, but the only way you can make it in 5 minutes, is if you have all your ingredients prepped (and I included all of that in my prep time). I like both recipes, but they do end up creating different types of cakes. This one seems a little sturdier and easier to eat without a fork.

4 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar
pinch of salt
Grated zest from 3 large lemons
1 3/4 c. cake flour
1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 c. heavy cream, at room temperature
5 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature

1. Preheat oven to 350 and place a rack in center of oven.
2. Butter and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
3. Whisk together eggs, sugar and salt for 1 minute, until foamy and blended. NOT long enough to thicken.
4. Whisk in grated zest.
5. Spoon flour and baking powder into a sifter and sift 1/3 into egg mixture. Whisk flour into eggs, lightly. Repeat 2 more times, without beating.
6. Whisk in heavy cream.
7. Fold in butter with a rubber spatula.
8. Pour mixture into pan and put in oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes until center crowns and cracks and a toothpick comes out clean.
9. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before unmolding and cooling to room temperature.

Cake can be stored wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for 3 or 4 days, or double-wrapped and frozen for a month.

No comments: