Thursday, June 01, 2006

Triple Citrus Bars

Crust Prep: 8 minutes
Crust Bake: 18-20 minutes
Filling Prep: 18 minutes
Filling Bake: 15-20 minutes
Cool Time: 3+ hours

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated Magazine (July 2006)

I sometimes cut bar cookies with a biscuit cutter and decorate the top, and I thought that would be nice with this bar cookie. However, the reality was that it was very hard to get the dessert out in one piece. The bottom separated from the top, and the top didn't look as pretty as I had to push on it. If I had biscuit cutters without handles on top, I could push up from the bottom and it would probably work better. I tired with a flower shaped cookie cutter and it almost worked, but a petal or two broke off.

No matter how they look, these taste great. They are not too sweet, and not too tangy (because of the orange mixed in.) Sometimes citrus desserts can taste a little metallic to me, but this is not the case with this dessert. I love the little flecks of zest that you can see in the bars.

No comments: