Sunday, June 25, 2006

Strawberry Cream Cake

Prep Time: 18 minutes
Bake Time: 30-40 minutes
Cool Time: 2 hours

Filling Time: 15 minutes
Sit Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Cream Time: 7 minutes
Assemble Time: 10 minutes

Grade: A+

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated Magazine (May 2006)

My first layer cake. I used a cheap torter that I bought at Michaels to cut it, which was very helpful. It was still lopsided because I hurried putting it together, but I still think it looked nice.

I skipped the Kirsch and that was fine. I had lots of leftover strawberry and cream filling, and I'm not sure if I needed more. (I mixed the two leftovers together and froze for some strawberry ice cream, which was very good!)

I'll definitely make this again, but next time might make a 7" cake instead and cut the recipe in half, unless I am serving a big crowd. The leftovers were good the next day though, and I froze some in pieces and it has still tasted pretty good (although not as great as fresh.) This can be put together ahead of time and still taste good.

No comments: