Friday, June 09, 2006

Alsatian Onion and Bacon Tart

Dough Prep: 10 minutes
Rest Time: overnight
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Bake Time: 5-6 minutes at 500 degress (longer with colder oven!) per half recipe

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Restaurant Favorites at Home

This recipe is really delicious if you like the flavor of bacon. It isn't super quick, but you can actually make all the pieces before hand, and put it together later. It would make a great appetizer for a dinner party, you would just have to roll out, add toppings and bake. Rolling is easy because you do it on top of parchment paper which goes right onto the baking stone.

I'm having trouble getting my oven to 500 degress, so my baking time took longer, and I probably didn't get as much browning as I should have.

I used the thick bacon, and before cooking onions, I drained off all except about 1 T. of the fat. Done this way, you still get lots of great bacon flavor (from bacon and onions) but this recipe is actually a lot lighter than you would think. I think it comes to around 400 calories per tart (the recipe makes 4) and can make a nice lunch or dinner.

No comments: