Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Stewed Pinto Beans

Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Bean Time: 70 minutes or 4 hours (slow cooker)
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Restaurant Favorites at Home (modified)

I have changed this recipe a little so that it is easier, for example using canned diced tomatoes with chilis, so I can avoid chopping onions and peppers. I also tried making the beans in a crock pot, so I have less stove time and heat in the kitchen. It worked pretty well in the slow cooker, but of course, takes longer.

I prefer to make this with a full pound of pinto beans, because I buy the bags, and dont' want to keep 1/2 c. of beans laying around.


Stewed Pinto Beans in a Slow Cooker

NOTE: The original recipe doesn't tell you when to cut the bacon, but tells you to leave the bacon in when adding onions. I assume that means you should cut bacon when raw. I cooked bacon whole and crumble it later, which is easier.

1 lb dried pinto beans, picked over and rinsed.
4 medium garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
Salt
3 slces thick bacon
1 small onion, cut into 1/4" dice (about 1 c.)
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes with chilis (hot), drained (or 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced, and 2 jalapenos, minced)
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1. Put beans and 6-8 cups of water (enough to cover beans by an inch or so). Cook on HIGH for 1 hour.

2. Add minced garlic and 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir, and continue cooking on HIGH for 2-4 more hours, until beans are tender.

3. Drain beans and reserve the liquid. (Or do as I did, and use a ladle to remove most of the water and leave beans in crock, to keep warm.)

4. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes.

5. Remove bacon, and drain all but 1-3 T. of fat, depending on your preferences. Drain bacon on paper towels.

6. Add onions to pan, and cook over medium heat until softened and golden, about 3 minutes.

7. Add tomatoes and jalapenos and continue cooking about 10 minutes.

8. Crumble drained bacon and return to pan.

9. Combine beans and tomato mixture and cook for 5 minutes more to blend flavors.

10. Stir in chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper.

I think the bacon adds a lot, but it does become unappealing in leftovers. I am wondering if saving it for sprinking on top would be best, if it won't all be eaten when first cooked. This makes a large amount of beans, so it is likely there will be leftovers. I may try this next time I make this.

No comments: