Sunday, June 04, 2006

Swedish Oatmeal Hardtack

Prep Time: 8 minutes
Fridge Time: 30 minutes
Roll and Cut Time: 5 minutes per sheet (3 sheets)
Bake Time: 10-12 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Baking with Julia (contributing baker Beatrice Ojakangas)

I never thought I would make my own crackers, but I saw this recipe and it seemed easy, and I have some buttermilk on hand, so I thought I would try. It was easy, and these were good.

You basically mix up the dough (butter, shortening, sugar, flour, oatmeal, buttermilk, salt and baking soda), let it sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes, then roll and cut. Rolling out is really not too hard. I tried on parchment and directly on the sheet, and both were fine, so I would skip the parchment next time. Instead of flouring rolling pin, I used a sheet of plastic wrap, and peeled it off when done.


The recipe says it is better to take the crackers out sooner rather than later, but I disagree. I think they tasted best when they were well browned. These are very tasty little crackers with a touch of sweetness. I might try making with a little less sugar next time.

No comments: