Monday, June 12, 2006

Multigrain Bread

Cereal Time: 70 minutes
Mix Time: 30 minutes (includes 20 min rest)
1st Rise: 60 minutes
2nd Rise: 30-60 minutes
Bake Time: 35-45 minutes
Cool Time: 3 hours

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated Magazine (March 2006)
Recipe: America's Test Kitchen TV Show (Season 10)

I've made this bread 3 times, and I still haven't gotten the high loaf I am looking for. The first two times I was using the wrong type of multi-grain cereal, but I had the right type this time. (Arrowhead Mills 7-grain hot cereal mix.) The loaves are not like bricks, and they are very delicious, so they are worth making. However, I would love to be able to make a loaf that is a little taller. My goal is to be able to put a standard piece of round turkey lunchmeat on it and only have a little overhang. Right now there is a good inch of the top that doesn't fit.

This time I did let the bread rise twice as long for the 2nd rise. I think I need to let it go even longer. I will reread the thread in the Chat section of CI's web-site to see if I get any other ideas.

One other note - although I love the oatmeal on the loaves, it seems silly for me to add it, since it always falls off when I cut the bread. I tried spraying the loaves with oil spray, and it didn't help. Maybe an egg wash?

No comments: