Thursday, October 30, 2008

Popovers (again)

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Rest Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes

Grade: A-

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: King Arthur's Flour

Yes, I did just make popovers last week, but I still have extra milk to get rid of, so I tried this recipe. It is similar, but makes larger popovers. The recipe is a little better than Julia's because the cooking time was more realistic, the popovers popped up more, and were prettier. But I felt like the flavor was missing a little bit. I actually like to eat popovers plain, but these didn't taste as good as last time. I think it needed more salt. I did put in the salt, but comparing the recipes, both called for 1/2 t, where the ingredients in this recipe were otherwise about 50% more in volume. So maybe I should try 3/4 t. instead. I would probably look to this recipe next time instead of the one in Julia's book, just because I like them bigger and the 20 minutes time at 450 works in my oven instead of 25.

Next up for popovers, I hope to try the whole wheat recipe in Whole Grain Baking.

No comments: