Sunday, April 13, 2008

Curried Brown Rice with Tomatoes and Peas

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (May 2004)

This is a new favorite (although I had tried it before and liked it.) I have been making brown rice and bean variations of this recipe a lot lately, because it is so easy and really healthy too. I love the nuttiness of brown rice, but don't like it plain really, and this recipe ends up quite flavorful.

I modified just a bit to make it a little easier to make. Basically, I bring everyting but the rice to a boil in a dutch oven then add the rice (and some chickpeas - my own addition), cover and cook in the oven. It still works out well, although probably not as perfectly as pouring boiling liquids into a baking dish and covering with foil. Some grains of rice on the pan do get a a little overcooked, but not a lot and I prefer the ease of this method.

No comments: