Saturday, February 02, 2008

Double Chocolate Brownies (Whole Wheat)

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Rest Time: 24 hours

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Whole Grain Baking

Part of the prep time is waiting for the butter sugar mixture to cool, so these really don't take much time. Actually, it could have been quicker if I was willing to move the mixture to a bowl after cooking in my pan. But I was enamored with the idea of not dirtying a single bowl when making these, so I waited. It is so easy cleaning my non-stick saucepan, I just like the idea of only having to wash that!

I did try these out of the oven before waiting for the rest to soften the bran. I thought they tasted pretty good then, but a little crunchy. The overnight wait really did soften the bran and these were very good. Of course, brownies don't have a lot of flour in them, so using whole wheat doesn't have a huge impact.

Actually, the interesting thing to me is that a brownie made with only cocoa would taste this good. I've always used unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate with possibly some cocoa added, so I was wondering about the flavor, but it worked. Well, to be clear, these are made with chocolate chips mixed in, but the base of the brownie is just made with the Dutch cocoa. I do like these, but who knows if I will make them again. I have a million brownie recipes I like. (I truly don't understand why people make them from box mixes, because they are so easy to make from scratch and probably take about two minutes more effort. this way.)

No comments: