Sunday, February 10, 2008

Low-Fat Meaty Lasagna

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 45-60 minutes (sauce)
Assemble Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 25-30 minutes
Rest Time: 20 minutes

Grade: A+

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Country (February 2007)

This was better (and easier) than I thought it would be. Lasagna can be a pain, but the sauce was not that hard to put together. I did use less mushrooms (about half) because they only had baby portabella at the store and they were kind of expensive. Plus I don't love mushrooms. But the method of chopping them up in the food processor was easy, and made them very easy to take and fit into the sauce nicely.

I did not cook my sauce enough and it was a little bit watery. Next time I'll let it go longer. The bechamel sauce on top was very easy and tasted pretty good. Overall, I am pretty happy with this recipe. It was much easier to put together than most lasagnas, because it doesn't have ricotta or cheese. I love the Barilla no cook noodles too - they end up tasting almost like fresh pasta, so this is a nice dish and one I would serve to others. They would be surprised it was light. (I think a little over 350 calories per serving.)

Update: I froze 6 servings of this as leftovers, and have been eating them almost weekly since I made this. The reheated lasagna has been very, very good. There is sometimes a slight bit of separation in the cheese sauce, and maybe a tiny bit of grease that seeps out, but it is pretty minor and everything really tastes great still. I like that the Barilla noodles don't get so thick and waterlogged liked some other pastas do when saved for leftovers.

No comments: