Monday, February 04, 2008

Black-Eyed Pea Tacos

black-eyed pea taco
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Every Day Foods (April 2004)

It was a perfect time to use this recipe, because I found some frozen black-eyed peas in the freezer that were over a year old! (last used here) I wasn't sure if they would taste ok, but they did. I also had some leftover goat cheese, and corn tortillas and cilantro, so everything was aligned for this dish. I love it when I don't have to buy anything to make a recipe, especially a unique one like this. I used up some corn I had blanched and frozen last summer from the farmers market and it still tasted great. (So much better than store bought!)

I thought this recipe sounded strange the first time I read it, but I love goat cheese, so I tried it. I find it very tasty and I have made it several times since the first time. I don't even really like corn tortillas, but the combo of ingredients of this one work with them. I do spray them with a little non-stick spray and heat them in the oven, making them more tasty. I also don't used canned peas, but frozen. So these need to be started cooking right away while prepping other ingredients, since they take 20 minutes to cook.

Overall, I think this is a good, healthy, unique meal.

No comments: