Monday, April 16, 2007

New York Style Crumb Cake

Prep Time: 22 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Cool Time: 30 minutes

Grade: B

Make Again: Maybe?

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (May 2007)

Honestly, this is a very good recipe, but I made a few mistakes, and I am just not the biggest cake lover, so this is not a favorite. I like coffee cake type cakes that are moist, but this is more like a regular cake with the richness coming from the topping. The topping was good, but I could pass on the cake. Again, it is my tastes, not that the cake is bad.

My mistakes - used 1/2 t. of baking soda instead of 1/4 t., which probably made my cake poof up in places. Also, I didn't create the crumbs properly and they were too large. I skipped making them first, because my crumb was a little dry, and just sprinkled as I went. The cake burst through in some places, and the pieces were really too big in some places.

I probably won't make this again, unless I had a specific request from someone for this type of cake. If I made it again, I would be more careful with the crumbs, and maybe use a little less flour, because mine was a little bit dry.

No comments: