Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Caramel Brownies

Prep Time: 37 minutes
Cook Time: 35 - 40 minutes
Cool Time: 3-4 hours

Grade: A+

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (May 2006)

I wish I had a better picture of these, but since I didn't really cook my caramel enough, it was too runny. This picture is of a frozen brownie, actually, otherwise, the caramel would be dripping even more.

This recipe is for Turtle Brownies, but I don't like Pecans much, so I skipped the nuts. They were excellent! I have never made caramel before, and it wasn't too hard, but I did probably make one mistake. The temp never got above 340, and the color was getting pretty dark, so I decided to stop at that point instead of 360. I think my caramel is a little more gooey than it should be, but it is still okay for refrigerated brownies.

Making a caramel with water in it (from what I have read) takes longer, but I had time to prep my brownie ingredients, so it was all fine. Really, I would have guessed this recipe to take longer, so I was pleasently surprised.

These are so very delicious, and I will definitely make these again.

No comments: