Friday, November 21, 2008

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars

pbj bars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes

Grade: B-

Make Again: No

Recipe Source: Best of America's Test Kitchen 2009

I am guessing this recipe is in the Baking Book from ATK, but I don't know, because they don't tell you in the 2009 Best of edition. For this reason, and also because there are not as many pictures, I am slightly disappointed in the book. It is OK, I still think buying this book is smarter for me, then buying all of their new books, since they have so much overlap. However, it just is not as nice as the 2007 and 2008 editions.

I'm really surprised at how underwhelmed I was by this recipe. I was sure I would love it. To be fair, the jam I used is not that flavorful (an Organic strawberry jam from Trader Joe's.) It probably would have been better with a sweeter jam. I really found the unbaked dough (which, yes, I did try) to be very tasty, so I assumed the cookie would be too. I almost wonder if I should try again with a better jam, but then I think - I have so many recipes to try, I probably won't. There are other PB cookies I like, so I will probably pass on this one. I do think part of my problem was the chopped peanuts, since I don't love nuts in baked goods.

No comments: