Thursday, June 07, 2007

Tortilla and Black Bean Pie

Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Grade: A-

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Everyday Food (October 2003)

This was the original Tortilla Pie recipe in Everyday Foods. They came up with a new one this year with ground beef and Spinach, which is also very good. This one is nice for a vegetarian meal. I should try my own version of this. The idea of using the tortillas in a spring form pan is a good one, and there are lots of variations that could be developed.

I skip chopping a jalapeno and just add crushed red pepper. It saves time and adds a more consistent heat, since jalapenos are not always very hot lately. I used 1/2 teaspoon instead of 1 jalapeno, and it worked well. I could use more, for more heat.

This took me a little bit longer to make than it was supposed to, because the beer took a long time to evaporate. I might use a little less next time.

No comments: