Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Make Ahead Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crumble Topping


Prep Time: 80 minutes
Cook Time: 80 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Make Ahead Cook (book)

This recipe is very similar, but not exactly the same as the recipe I reviewed previously from the magazine. The topping is the same, but there are some differences in the filling. I'm not sure why. Probably to allow for making two casseroles instead of one that serves 6?

There are actually two Chicken Pot pie recipes in the book. Both have the exact same filling. This one has a crumble topping and is from the Oven Ready Casserole chapter. The other one has a pie crust topping and is found in the Freezer chapter.

I decided to experiment and do both with this one. I made one casserole for cooking later that day and 3 others for freezing. (Since I'm only making this for two people, I used disposable loaf pans instead of 8x8 pans and made 4 instead of 2 casseroles.) I used the instructions from both recipes on preparing the casserole. The crumble topping worked fine in both ways as I expected. I kept the topping in a separate baggie when frozen.

This is a delicious recipe and having 3 more in the freezer to make later was great. As I've found with all of the other freezer recipes, these casseroles take a very long time to reheat, even with my smaller portions, so you do need to make sure you give it enough time.

I made the same adjustments to this recipe as I did the original from the magazine. I used less butter in the sauce, milk instead of cream and used chicken breasts instead of thighs. It still was rich and delicious. I left the crumble topping alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused--where is the recipe for this most delicious chicken pot pie? Or is this just an ad for a cook book?

Lisa said...

Hi.

Sorry for the confusion. I am mostly just reviewing recipes that I try here, and I don't post the recipes, but will post links when I can. Many recipes from America's Test kitchen can be found on other people's blogs if you do a search.

Here is a link to the magazine version of the recipe, which is very similar, but not exactly the same. http://traceysculinaryadventures.com/2013/12/chicken-pot-pie-with-savory-crumble-topping-2.html

All versions of this recipe are delicious.

I just don't have the time to try to copy the recipe and reword to avoid copyright issues. But I like to share my thoughts on the recipes that I try and record how much time they take.