Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Red Beans and Rice

Soak Time: overnight
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (January 2010)

This was delicious and easy. I have wanted to make red beans and rice for a while, but never have before. I think the recipes I've seen often require something I didn't have. But the most unusual ingredient was andouille sausage, which was easy to find. You can also substitute kielbasa. It wasn't the most attractive dinner ever, but it was very flavorful. I was glad to have a simple meal before I have a lot of more complex cooking to do for Christmas.

The recipe says small red beans are better than kidney beans and will cook up creamier. I could only find kidney beans, and they were fine. I did end up cooking them longer than 90 minutes total though. But they were very creamy, so I don't think it necessary to search for red beans if they aren't at your grocery store.

No comments: