Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Make Again: Yes
Recipe Source: Me
This recipe was inspired by an idea I read on the Cook's Illustrated bulletin board. It is very flexible and could be used with other spices and flavors. I like it because it is super easy and is a nice way to use up zucchini.
I liked this served over rice, but it also good on its own.
1 T. olive oil
1 small onion diced
1 teaspoon salt
3-4 medium zucchini 1" dice
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon chipotle powder (or minced chipotle in sauce)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
cilantro, 2-3 Tablespoons minced (optional)
2 oz pepper jack cheese, grated (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium heat and saute onion, for about 5 minutes.
2. Add zucchini and salt. Saute another 5 minutes.
3. Add meat and cook, breaking up with spoon, until brown.
4. Add spices and saute about 30 seconds.
5. Add tomatoes with juice and stir. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes until flavors are combined.
6. Stir in chopped cilantro if desired.
7. Serve topped with cheese if desired.