Monday, October 11, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas with Red Sauce

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cool Time: 10 minutes
Assemble Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minute


Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (May 2003)  
Recipe Source: Cover & Bake 

I first made these years ago and I really liked the recipe.  I've made them several times since then, but have never added my thoughts here.  I do prefer a red sauce over a green sauce, so I love this recipe much more than my last enchilada attempt. 

I lightened the recipe by using half the cheese and boneless breasts instead of thighs.  I also used less sauce because I made it too spicy this time. 

The one tip I took from the green sauce recipe, which is somewhat similar in many ways, was to cook breast whole, then tear the cooked then cooled chicken in larger pieces first, then chop more with a knife.  I liked that method.

These are really good and I will continue to use this recipe.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I just found your blog and i am so excited! I cook almost exclusively using Everyday Food, the CI/ATK stuff and I bake from KA whole grain baking book.

These are the best enchiladas i have ever made. I do like tomatillos, so i am going to try that recipe out, but these are always a guaranteed hit. Have you tried freezing them? I haven't yet, but I worry the tortillas would get mushy.

Lisa said...

Yes, I always freeze the leftovers. They do get a little soggy, but still taste great, and it doesn't bother me, since they still taste better than anything I would get frozen. The convenience is worth it.

There are a few ATK freezer recipes, but I haven't tried them yet. I assume any soggy issues, will still be there though, unless freezing before you cook makes a difference.