Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey and Stuffing Bake



Prep Time: 30 minutes 
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Cool Time: 10 minutes

Grade: B+

Make Again: Maybe next year 

http://www.marthastewart.com/859565/turkey-and-stuffing-bake

I meant to post this a few weeks ago, before Thanksgiving, but managed to not do that.

This was a kind of fun recipe that is a take on Thanksgiving dinner. It has a ground turkey and sage base, and a stuffing topping. The topping was delicious and it all tasted good. It was almost like a bread pudding or a strata on top, which I really liked.

The one problem I have is I just don't love ground turkey flavor when it is more on it's own. I use it in chili a lot and with salsa and those flavors take over. But in the dish, the other flavors weren't strong enough and the ground turkey taste isn't quite like turkey to me. 

I probably won't make this a lot, but maybe next November when I am in a stuffing mood and want a simple dish to prepare.

Actually, now that Thanksgiving is over, I'm thinking this might be a nice recipe to modify using leftover diced turkey instead of ground turkey. I might try that, if/when I'm lucky enough to have leftover turkey. I love turkey breast, but never cook a turkey because it grosses me out. I became a vegetarian for 7 years after learning how to prepare the turkey! Even though I've been eating meat again for over 10 years now, I leave the turkey prep to someone else every year.



No comments: