Sunday, August 08, 2010

Swedish Meatballs

Total Time: 45 minutes
Grade: C+
Make Again: No
Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (January 2009)

NOTE:  I didn't make the cucumbers, and I my times reflect that fact, and the fact that I doubled the meatball recipe. 

I never had Swedish meatballs until I tried a bag of meatballs from Ikea this summer.  I liked them quite a bit, even without the sauce.  Since it was a large bag, it provided quite a few quick dinners. 

Since I've been using the Best of 2010 cookbook recently, I saw the recipe for Cook's Illustrated Swedish meatballs.  I wanted to try to see if they compared, and if it would be cheaper. 

I ended up doing something I never do the first time with a recipe, and I doubled the recipe.  Since it called for 8oz of both pork and beef, it seemed like a good idea to just double and not refreeze the leftover meat.

I also made one major change - instead of pan frying the meatballs, I decided to bake them.  That was not a problem.  I turned them midway through the baking.  (About 15 minutes at 450).  They still browned, and there was plenty of fat. 

The taste ended up being similar to the Ikea meatballs, however they were way too salty.  The recipe calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.  I didn't actually double that amount, because it seemed like it would be too much.  I used 2 teaspoons instead - maybe a little more. Besides the saltiness, these were good and tasted similar.

I am going to freeze the leftovers (without sauce) and I am sure they will be fine, because usually leftovers need a little more seasoning. 

But would I make these again or buy the Ikea meatballs.  I'll get them at Ikea.  They are $8 for a 2.5 pound bag.  I spent just about that amount for the ingredients, and didn't like them quite as much so there is no benefit to making them myself.

No comments: