Friday, April 21, 2006

Marinara Sauce




Cook's Illustated Marinara Sauce March, 2006

Prep Time: 20 minutes (because of my de-seeding)
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Make Ahead: This stores well for a few days, and it also freezes well.

The first time I made this sauce, I really liked it overall, but didn't like the fact that I could taste the tomato seeds. So, this time, I made the recipe a little more complicated. Normally, I try to make recipes simpler, but I think my extra step is worth it.

I drained the tomotoes over a bowl. Then I got out a second bowl with a strainer. Instead of using my finger to break out the core, I cut the tomato in half and squeezed tomatoes over strainer. I cut out the core, discarded it, then put seeded tomato back in the original strainer. When done with all tomatoes, I pressed down on seeds, to get as much juice out of them as possible.

I had to do this to keep the seeds separate from the tomatoes, but still get as much juice drained. Combining juice from both bowls gave me enough to make the sauce.



I enjoyed this sauce more than my initial try and will do it this way again.

No comments: