Sunday, January 21, 2018

Snickerdoodles and

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12-16 minutes (cookies), 15-20 minutes (cake)

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: BraveTart Cookbook


I have actually never had Snickerdoodles before but I love cinnamon things, so I was sure I would like these. I did.

I decided to try to make the cookie version and the cake version (Snip Doodles) at the same time by using half the recipe for cookies and half for the cake. I have gotten myself in trouble before by doing this kind of thing, but I went ahead anyway.

I made the full cookie batter, weighing my mixer bowl before I started. I weighed it again with the cookie batter, and then used half of it for cookies. Then I added the milk for the cake. For the cake you are supposed to alternate adding the milk and flour to the rest of the batter, and that was impossible since the flour was already incorporated. Mixing all the milk in at the end was a little tricky because the cookie batter was already thick and I didn't want to beat it too hard. I mixed carefully until it wasn't too lumpy and hoped for the best.

It worked fine. I cooked the snip doodles in a 1/4 sheet pan. I cooked that first at 350, since the cookies needed 400° to start. I rolled the cookies in the cinnamon sugar while the cake was cooking and baked those when the cake was done.

Overall I liked the cookies better because of the more crispy edges, but the cake was nice also. I think I undercooked the cake a bit and overcooked the cookies. My cookies ended up quite crispy once they cooled and I lost the chewy center.

I would definitely make the cookies again, but will probably not do the cake. I ended up using the cake to make some cinnamon croutons which was a very good idea! I cubed the cake and cooked in some butter on the stovetop and then sprinkled with more cinnamon sugar. It is a fun topping for ice cream.


No comments: